What is flat design? In simple terms, it’s shorthand for a website design practice that provides clarity in a simplistic user interface. Besides being brightly colored and minimalistic, flat design employs a blend of simple boxes, delimited buttons and dynamic tiles to create crisp, clear and dynamic interfaces that emphasize usability.
Advantages of Using Flat Design
Flat design is so simple that you are often able to combine various trends without your design appearing cluttered. As the latest innovation in website design, there are many advantages to using this web design style, such as:
- Projects using flat design are getting enormous recognition from blogs
- Simple mobile interface eliminates the need for zooming
- Bold colors are engaging and set a tone of positivity
- There is a focus on beautiful design elements of typography
- Flat design offers sharp and clean high-contrast visuals
The modern, clean look is appealing to many businesses and revamping your site can increase
user engagement significantly.
Flat Design Limitations
While flat design appears effortless, it consists of much more than just aesthetics. No matter how good looking your UI is, if it is difficult to navigate, you’ve failed. It takes a lot of creativity to make it truly intuitive and functional. That said, there are some limitations to using flat design, such as:
- Mobile interface isn’t compatible with every website or app.
- Lacks depth, gradients and shadows.
- Difficult to identify what is interactive versus what is decoration
- Buttons and panels can look the same
- Difficult to convey complicated messages
- Number of embellishments are limited
These limitations should by no means deter you from using flat design because we can work around all of them.
Trends come and go, so the future is uncertain for flat design. Although flat design is considered a new trend, it surely appears to have a lot of staying power. Perhaps a happy medium between flat and skeuomorphism will be introduced as more elements such as gradients and shadows are added. If you are looking for a web designer to reconstruct your site, look no further. Razorfrog is here for all your web design needs. Contact us to start your redesign process today!